Including: Feasibility Studies, Concept Design & General Arrangement Drawings

Crayon use the feasibility stage to help clients develop their brief and outline what it is they want from their project. It is a time when we provide the client with an understanding of the viability of the project, ensuring that it is feasible functionally, technically and financially. We will also look at site conditions, previous planning history, if any, and determine the form in which the project will proceed.


We provide ideas, outline layouts and designs at this early stage, which allows you to settle on a preferred design before embarking upon the planning application stage. We will undertake a measured survey of your project, unless plans are provided.


We can also prepare feasibility study packages for formal presentation, including site analysis, various design options/ layouts and 3D visuals of the proposed scheme, which can be useful for marketing and publication.

Planning Applications

Including: Householder, Minor/Major Developments, Outline & Full Applications

Once you have an idea of your proposals Crayon can help you through the Planning Process. This is consent you will require from your local authority to go ahead with your development. There are many types of applications that can be used, as mentioned above, such as; a Householder application which is used when you want to alter or enlarge a single house. For other developments such as; the creation of a dwelling(s), a Change of Use or works relating to a flat, then a Full Planning Application would be used.


There are multiple consents you can apply for which may be in tandem with you main application, for example listed building consent or conservation area consent. The decision process undertaken by the local authority where they will go out to consultation with the public and discuss your process with highways department etc, usually takes around 8weeks.


Crayon can produce the necessary general arrangement drawings, provide a Design & Access Statement and guide you through the process. We can liaise with other consultants that may be a part of your process, for example; CDM co-ordinators, Conservation Officers, Surveyors, Arboriculturalists, Ecologists, and Estate Agents.

Permitted Development Projects

Including: Permitted Development Certificate Applications & General Arrangement Drawings

The Town and Country Planning Order 1995 allows you to make certain types of minor changes to your house, including small extensions without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights“. These rights only apply to houses and do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Also if you are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, in a Conservation Area or your property is listed, permitted development rights do not apply. You will need to apply for planning permission for works to be undertaken, which do not need an application in other areas.


Crayon can help you through the permitted development process, discussing your options with the local authority. Some properties may have already used all permitted developments rights or have an Article 4 direction removing their rights.


If this can be used then it will save you time in not having to go through the planning process and fees payable to the local authority. Crayon can apply for a ‘Permitted Development Certificate’ from the local authority on your behalf, which will give you peace of mind that the development you are about to undertake is within the set guidelines. The permitted development rights are constantly changing so do check before undertaking any works.

Building Regulations Applications

Including: Full Plans submission, Building Notices & Regularisation

The building regulations apply to most building work and ensures that the new buildings meet health, safety, welfare, convenience and sustainability standards. Your local authority or an approved inspector can check your submitted application; the person carrying out the works decides who will undertake this.


Unlike planning permission the regulations are related to the specifics of how the building should be constructed and not whether the development can go ahead or not. The drawings required have a greater degree of technical detail compared to the planning drawings, drawn at a scale of 1:50 with additional sections to highlight construction build up. Crayon produce a document entitled ‘Schedule of Works’ specifying the materials and methods to be used along with target U-values (relates to heat loss through the fabric of the building).
Where structural alterations are proposed, calculations will be required this will be undertaken by a structural engineer. Crayon are happy to obtain a quote on your behalf and liaise with them accordingly. There will be a 5-8 week decision period to gain building regulation consent.

Contract Administration

Including: Overseeing the construction process, Administering the contract between client and contractor, Valuations, Payment Assessments & Extensions of Time

During this phase we will initially ‘let’ the building contract, appoint the chosen contractor as a result of the tender process, issue construction drawings to the contractor and arrange site hand-over. We will assess financial claims from the contractor on a monthly basis. We will administer the terms of the contract up to and including practical completion and provide any further information as and when reasonably required. We will also make site inspections on a fortnightly basis, taking progress photos and settle the final account on your behalf.